Oct 7, 2017

8.21.17

For almost an hour and a half we watched as the sliver of the moon over the sun turned into a thumbprint and then the sun itself turned into a sliver. The air began to cool, then the light began to dim. It was very different than cloud cover; the shadows and light fell exactly the same way but it was as if the volume was turned down. It began to get cold enough for Russ to put on a jacket.
Then the last moment arrived. We held hands in a giant field of sage and watched as the last sliver turned into black. "It's here!" I shouted at the sky. We threw off the glasses and looked straight at the black sun, ringed in a blazing corona of white, suspended in a dark sky that turned from dusky blue into a 360 degree horizon of purple and pink. Planets twinkled in the darkness.
The sight instantly sent a shock wave through my heart and I howled, cried, laughed and looked at Russ Bennett , who's face wore the same amazement, disbelief, and giddy joy that I felt. "I can't believe it!" I think I kept saying with a shaky voice. My whole body was shaking. I did take a few hurried photos, but they didn't do it any justice.
It was truly indescribable and unforgettable to stand there in that field of sage, bathed in the purple light of a 360 degree sunset, looking up at the dusky sky with glowing planets and the blazing white halo ringed around that black sun. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen - in a life mostly dedicated to seeking beauty. 










No comments:

Post a Comment