May 27, 2010
May 25, 2010
May 24, 2010
May 21, 2010
time pass so quickly when you out to play
for a long time, a very long time, you were so busy and blinded by lights and perhaps that is why you took years to realize how to get what you didn't know you really wanted...
...there are things left behind you, that you were once so sure defined you and now you see diminished you. you forget them quickly. you don't even miss them. you are the person you always hoped to be. finally you can be what you are.
May 19, 2010
May 18, 2010
happy birthday johno!
last night at dinner i learned:
- that chinchillas have 100 hairs to every follicle compared to the 1 hair that humans have. this is why they are so soft and incidentally why they never dry off when they get wet. therefore they bathe in dust. they take dust baths.
- the best way to catch a shark. (i don't know if i can repeat it, but basically it involves raw meat, a big rope and brute force along with a flipping motion. i sort of spaced out halfway through the explanation cause i was thinking, 'i can't believe john catches sharks!')
- why my blogger account links to a random profile and i can't seem to change it.
- the future of facebook (it's scary).
- how to press and mount butterflies
- that alcohol is almost prohibitively expensive in australia
i'm sure there was other important knowledge that he was spouting but i didn't retain it. for the above reasons and about a million more my brother is by far the most interesting person i know. i am so glad he was born. xo
May 16, 2010
"hello this is a message from your rational mind."
turns out jonathan richman is my new favorite person. i know this is a shitty camera phone photo; i left my camera in the car, but this was the highlight of my day and deserves documentation. thanks dustin.
May 14, 2010
May 10, 2010
May 5, 2010
May 3, 2010
nothing lasts, so i've been enjoying life lately with the knowledge that it won't ever be exactly like this ever again. the weathers nice, the garden's growing, the house is peaceful, there are new fun projects going on, we've been having art day every weekend and cooking the best food i've ever eaten.
here is a brief menu from the last 3 weekends:
fried eggs and onions. grilled buffalo steak with tamatillo verde sauce, asparagus, grilled pineapple and polenta. peanut butter cookies with apricot jam. polenta cakes with salsa. coconut french toast with marionberry syrup.
grilled flank steak rubbed in roasted pablano, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and lime. chard with mustard seed and tomatoes, dashed in vinegar. sauteed onions and mushrooms and grilled asparagus.
chicken roasted with potatoes, carrots, yams, onions, garlic and brussel sprouts and reduced in white wine, broth, and butter and covered in "sauce" (not gravy. we do not call it that. we are not barbarians) and almond orange cookies with candied orange peel and cream whipped with fresh orange juice.
we eat. and draw, and write stories, and make bath salts and sugar scrubs, and write songs, and watch tv in the attic theater, and eat, and walk through gardens to beaches, and make t-shirts, and listen to good music, and make new music, and eat, and sit on the porch, and garden, and explore new places, and lay around dolores, and go to concerts, and laugh, and take photos, and sleep in real piles, and talk, and eat.....
we've been going through about a pound of butter a weekend. nothing is lame and everything is awesome.
you should come visit.