Sep 11, 2015

9.3.15

Without realizing it, three years slipped by since my last trip to Washington.  I had never even seen my moms new post-fire home.  It was high time to pay a visit, plus time for Russ to see where I'd grown up.  His aunt lives on Orcas Island in the San Juans, super near Bellingham, so it all made sense.  In all the years that I lived in Bellingham I could count on one hand the number of times we went out to the islands.  I'm not sure why, they are so beautiful!  In hindsight I didn't adventure nearly enough when I lived in Washington.  In fact most of the adventuring I've done in that area has been after I grew up and lived elsewhere.  While actually living there I was too busy being a ridiculous and angst filled teenager. 
We spared no time getting right into it.  After arriving late on Wednesday and getting the tour of my mom's new place we woke on Thursday, ate breakfast, got some rain gear (strangely we have none) and drove down to Anacortes to catch the ferry to Orcas.  I love the ferry system.  Just the transit from point A to B becomes so much more exciting on a ferry.  Unlike MUNI or other public transit almost no one is upset or on crack on a ferry.  Everyone was taking selfies and standing in the wind on the bow with their coffees, even though it was freezing.   When we arrived we met Aunt Meg and Uncle Joe and immediately set off adventuring.  They took us up Mt. Constitution, the highest point on the island where you can see north to Vancouver and east back to Bellingham.  Were it not cloudy Mt. Baker would have also been visible, but it is Washington so it was cloudy.  We went around the island a bit, picked blackberries, had an awesomely delicious dinner, and after some wine and conversation went to bed in preparation for day 2 of adventuring.  I'm posting more than one photo today. 



2 comments: