Feb 6, 2014

2.4.14

i've gotten to the point in my practice where it's automatic.  i don't even think about fitting it in to my day.  i just do it.  so this morning i found myself unrolling my mat even as my mind was a million miles away.  i looked down at it, and realized with dismay that my inner turmoil was going to make this a very difficult practice.  i sat down anyway.  i started breathing.  i felt like crying.  i just kept breathing.

i warmed up, still battling troubling thoughts, going through the motions. then i went into my first down dog and felt it.  release.  it was like a giant swoosh moving through my whole body.  a giant swoosh of peace.  it felt like physically remembering every time i've ever held this pose; so many moments all over the world and through time.  and in that moment i glimpsed another facet of my practice and another reason i do yoga.  no matter what is going on in my mind and my life, when i get on my mat, when i start breathing and focusing and stretching, i achieve timelessness.  my body changes, my experience of each pose changes, but there is something consistent in the practice and this removes it from 'today' and elevates it into now and also always.... it's momentary, but infinite.

this is comforting, and amazing.... and also true.

No comments:

Post a Comment