Oct 14, 2013

10.8.13

injury has humbled me, forced me to slow my practice, turned me inwards; curling, protecting myself.  i have the feeling of taking steps backward, of being weakened and having to rebuild.  i have feelings of impatience as my body struggles with poses and positions once natural and easy.  

but i feel lucky also, as though the pain is bringing a new level of experience for me.  the caution with which i move, the awareness i experience through every movement brings a depth i didn't attain before.  with every bit of myself i am aware of my body.  "does this hurt?  is this ok?  does this feel right?"  i ask in every moment.  

i notice how often i have the urge to go further, push further into a posture before taking a moment to notice where i am.  

i am going to retrain my body.  i am going to relearn my placement, alignment, regain my strength, and i am going to do it with complete awareness and patience.  

"if we confront affliction through yoga, we awaken a new awareness of tolerance and endurance, as well as a true sympathy for others in their afflictions.  these qualities indicate the degree of development we have reached.  so why not take adversity positively?  certainly it is an alarm signal, but also contains the seed for its own resolution and transcendence."

-b.k.s. iyengar

No comments:

Post a Comment