Sep 27, 2013

9.19.13



I’ve recently decided to go back to being an herbivore.  This is not my first foray into vegetarianism.  Through no choice of my own I was forced to become one when my brother, aged uh.. 4, declared that he would no longer partake of meat.  Somehow our whole family got roped into this.  John started eating meat again after some time but I held out for almost 14 years.  Although at the end there I occasionally started eating fish.  I lived in California at the time which is a magical place full of people who were quick to tell me ‘you’re not a vegetarian you’re a pescatarian,’ which was true.  And also really, really annoying.

Anyway, after gleefully partaking in flesh for a few years I’m jumping back on the vegetarian bandwagon.  I’d love to say this is for some morally superior reason (...ahem. ahimsa.)  It’s not.  I’m doing a lot of yoga lately and find that I practice, focus and meditate more effectively when my body feels light, i.e. when it’s not digesting meat and other heavy shit.  I will never be one of those people who shames meat eaters – I made bacon ice cream for christssake.  The jig is up.  

I may lapse occasionally.  My family hunts and ergo I have access to large amounts of lean, grassfed, organic meat.  (And to those who say “don’t eat anything you wouldn’t be willing to kill yourself” and assume that I’m burning in shame/smugly content – I’m not.  I was that.)  But I’m gonna do my best and give it a go. 

One reason I wanted to start eating meat again was because I wanted to learn how to prepare and cook it.  I was getting way into the culinary arts and felt I was missing out on a huge portion of cuisine.  Which I was.  Conversely once I became a meat eater I sadly neglected all the interesting and delicious veggie dishes out there.   I’m coming back to them now.  I will probably occasionally post recipes here along with other holisticky stuff.  Hope you enjoy it.   

Namaste bitches, xx

No comments:

Post a Comment