May 29, 2012

5.26.12


There are things I know, I’ve learned, from the miles I’ve covered.  I know that the dust in the air today comes flying across barren plains and hills in the desert south of here.  I know because I drove through it.  I watched the clouds approaching from afar, reached them as pink sand snaked over the road ahead of me and the horizon became an impossible thing to see.  I watched as mile after mile of spires and plateaus and arches appeared in the haze of dust, otherworldly, unfamiliar, and beautiful.  If only cities appeared thusly in smog.  Each mile I wondered how long would this wild wind last?  When would it stop?  Surely the mountains would cut against it’s vigor. 
Then I reached my home and destination, windy still on the mesa of my childhood and sure enough the next day it came, through the night and the mountains. High in the air like a blizzard of dirt the clouds I’d driven through all the day previous arrived and blocked out the sun.  All day the wind ripped at trees and shingles and howled around the eaves and windows.  Other people were surprised, though I had seen it coming.  The setting sun, obscured by dust, was not unfamiliar to me.  I knew the hundreds of miles I’d driven were flying above me in the sky.
There are things I don’t know, I’ve yet to learn before I quit moving.  Where does such a wind come from?  How does a vicious, whipping force cover hundreds and hundreds of miles and then disappear?  Where does she go?  And how long, how far, how fast must I drive to find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment