Jan 27, 2011

1.27.11

cabbage tree b&b

tonight we prepared a dinner for 5 of the walkers staying with us. when people pay for a meal they usually come up to the cabbage tree b&b (the main house) and we serve it there, eating with them in the dining room. tonight they were a women's walking group from the southern north island. these women are my new heroes. indeed i think hero worship was shining in my eyes all night as i asked them question after question and took suggestions in my palms like precious jewels.

they were all white-haired grandmotherly type figures. i'd say the age ranges were 60's - 80's and they all got together routinely for hikes. not just walks around the block here - they were on day two of a fairly rigorous 3 day tramp.

we were discussing the hikes that i hoped to go on while i was here and where i would go next. i mentioned that tomorrow i would be doing day 2 of the kct -known to be the most difficult day of the tramp and also the day that they had just completed. the little, frail, be-spectacled, white-haired lady across from me - definitely in her 70's if she was a day - looked at me with grand-motherly benevolence in her blue eyes and said,

"i hope you're fit."

1 comment:

  1. Your writing just gets better and better. If I do say so myself. I love reading every word.

    ReplyDelete